Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Bunkasai Day Two...

Day two was performance and food day. Basically the whole day consisted of students dressing up in costumes, serving food, singing songs and showing off their dance moves. Here is a picture/video guide to day two:

COSTUMES
For some reason, bunkasai is an excuse for the students to wear crazy outfits. Here are a few of my favourites.

Here we have a bunch of Winnie the Pooh's and some sort of strange chicken boy, albiet a very happy chicken boy.
















Sporting the teddy bear, sans hood.





















Bunkasai wouldn't be complete without french maids and Playboy bunnies! Here are some of the french maids.
















Ladybugs, Stitch (from Lilo and Stitch) and another Winnie the Pooh!
















Spiderman! To be fair, this isn't a bunkasai costume. This kid carries it around with him everyday. Some days he even wears it to class! The kid on the left is wearing a sash that says "I need love"


Tigerboy...



FOOD
There was a vast assortment of food at bunkasai, ranging from crepes and fried chicken, to soba (noodles) and ikayaki (fried squid). Below is a picture of my ikayaki.



PERFORMANCES
There were many bands and dances on day two of bunkasai. Here are three videos from the performances.

This is a video of a few guys doing an a cappella song. They were really good, but the sound quality on my recording doesn't do them justice.


Here's a video of a group of students doing the "Soran Bushi" a dance derived from a traditional song and dance which comes from the north of Japan in Hokkaido.


Finally, this video shows a dance that some of the guys from Toba High put together. I was blown away! Enjoy!


That's about it for bunkasai! I hope that you enjoyed reading about it and watching it as much as I enjoyed being there!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

..... oh man. I must have had nothing else to do, as I ended up finding my way to your blog and just read everything about bunkasai! That was lovely. I reallyed like the dance at the end it was hilarious. And I kept trying to sing the song in English, because I KNOW I know it. I just can't place what song it is. I'm glad Japan is treating your well! btw - it's Lindsey, from Tatham! ;)

8:12 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home